Saturday, April 13, 2013

Post #10

After looking at table 2.2 on page 51 and considering the content relevant to grades 9-12, I believe that the strategies mentioned would be very helpful. One strategy that I think is necessary to education, and that I would certainly use is the use of academic vocabulary that is necessary to the course. This would help as it would help to build the already expansive vocabulary of my students. 

Another strategy that I would insist upon using regardless of how tedious it may seem to my students, is the insistence that all students use the correct words. By this I mean if a student mistakenly uses a word that has a different meaning or that they have simply misunderstood, I would correct them. I would not do this in a condescending way nor would I attempt to embarrass them, instead I would simply establish that in my classroom grammar is important, just as it is in the real world.

Beyond simple grammar and insistence on correct word choice I would also ask my students to find the meaning of certain readings done in class. As a history teacher, I would expect my student's to read some historical writing and explain what information can be learned from what is and what is not written. I would do this because I believe inference into the text is a very important aspect of education and that students can benefit from it in all situations.

One strategy that I have never considered but that I will use based on the table on pg 51 relates to the use of native languages at certain times. The table suggest that students use their native language in informal conversations but use standard English in formal classroom settings. I believe that I would do this as students need to be able to speak their native language for comfort and to stay close to their culture, however proper English is important in the classroom. Therefore I would encourage the use of English and only allow or rather promote the use of a native language in certain situations

Using these strategies I believe that I will be able to best help my students in the classroom as it relates to language and vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment